A business is made of numerous employees, who happen turn out as an essential real asset of every company. Acquiring skilled employees, utilizing their talents, and motivating them to perform their best is crucial to achieving any company’s success. The section responsible for handling all these tasks is the HR department. Let us elaborate and define human resource in detail.
Human Resource comprises of people who make up the workforce of all the companies. The department is responsible for vetting, recruiting, hiring, training, and paying all employees of an organization. HR also ensures that every policy of a company is upheld and all employees feel safe and secure in their work environment. Most strategists consider HR as the most important department of any company.
The HR department is charged with screening, hiring, and training new hires, and administering their skill development. Additional responsibilities of human resource consist of benefits and compensation handling, firing, and keeping a tab on any new laws that might affect their company in any way.
Key Role of Human Resource
The presence of Human Resources in every organization is a must, regardless of any company’s size or work. The HR Department is responsible for increasing employee engagement and productivity by making sure they remain happy with their job and organization. They undertake numerous crucial responsibilities of the organization like-
• Understanding the present and future needs of an organization
• Ensuring that every company and employee is in compliance with the state, local, and government labour laws and regulations
• Discovering, recruiting and retaining all the top-skilled employees
• Management of employee benefits and compensation
• Ensuring employee engagement
• Handling hiring, training, onboarding, and enhancing employees’ skills to boost company growth
• Ensuring hygiene by applying health and safety measures
• Handling crucial administrative functions such as payroll and taxes
• Reviewing the performance appraisal of all employees
To ensure that every function is handled carefully and successfully, it is important to have a nice HR manager. There arise certain qualities that a good HR worker should entail, like-
Qualities of a good HR Manager
When we regularly interview HR managers in the organizations, we can see that almost all the top and skilled HR leaders share the same goals and thinking. We have accumulated the top qualities found in outstanding HR managers, that are-
• Effective Communicators- Highly productive human resource managers turn out as strong communicators as well as influencers. They provide knowledge and guidance on a vast scale of HR matters and introduce new ways of handling things to improvise the organization’s plans. They can communicate easily with employees and managers, and facilitate changes very easily. They lend a sympathetic ear to all their employees to develop a special bond with all of them over time.
• Problem Solver- As the name suggests, an outstanding HR leader can fix any problem faced by their company. They have an impeccable problem-fixing capacity. HR bestows itself upon numerous complex and unforeseen legal, and management problems. Skilled HR managers help to prevent those and deal with them fearlessly to not let the organization suffer any adverse effect.
• Judicious- Great HR managers don’t work in a void, they understand their company’s strategies, take efforts to visualize the future, and align their projects, goals, and work for the needs of their organization. They know the value of high performance and try to trigger it through talent management.
• Future Planners- The top quality of best HR managers is that they plan the future of their company by identifying amazing opportunities and detecting potential threats. They create strategies on how to retain the top employees, and also make positive changes to their company’s culture. They ensure that they turn out to be ready for any challenges that will come in their way to protect the organization and stay ahead of the competitors.
The HR department is also responsible for being up-to-date with all the laws and regulations related to their company and ensuring that it is applied. They are the backbone of any company and they make sure that the organization keeps running smoothly and successfully.
Handling all the essential responsibilities manually becomes overwhelming for Human Resources. With the fast-paced evolving world, there is a need for every organization to adapt to every new trend and change. Thus, many organizations have now started a proper system for managing these tasks, that is, the HRM or the Human Resource Management system.
The apt definition of human resource management(HRM) is that it is a systematic process of handling all the tasks and functions related to their company and its employees. Human resource management is a managerial procedure of perusing and attracting the right candidate for a job, training them, handling their onboarding and making sure they turn out to be retained for the long haul. HRM meaning is really simple, it is the practice of attracting, recruiting, training, and managing all employees in an organization.
The main role of the human resource management is to handle every employee in an organization to achieve their company’s targets and goals.
The key responsibilities of human resource management(HRM) include-
• Job Analysis-
This includes finding and attracting the perfect candidate for their company. Job analysis is the base of the human resource management definition as it provides essential information about jobs that are exercised to hire employees, decide salary, organize training, and make other human resource management related decisions.
• Skill Development-
In the modern era, HR managers serve as strategic partners of a company. They play a crucial role in identifying, developing, and executing their company’s goals. They make sure that every employees’ goals and targets are aligned to those of the company.
• Career Assistance-
Gone are the days when the employee stuck to the same company and role throughout their career. With the fast-paced and evolving world, everyone wants to try different fields and work on their skill development. Human Resource Management helps employees with career development and achieve deeper insight into the potential of all the employees.
• Increase Employee Engagement-
Ensuring that every employee is engaged with their company is very essential. The HRM organizes certain activities to deepen the bond between employees and their company. They create surveys to get feedback from every employee if they have any concerns regarding the policies of the working of the company. This lets the employees feel they are valued and their opinion is important.
• Sympathetic Ear-
Every employee wants to feel safe and secured at the workplace. The HR department is always available to listen to the personal concerns of every employee and help them. To ensure this, HR should create an environment where any employee doesn’t feel ashamed or intimidated to approach them regarding any harassment or violence.
Employees are far more likely to stay in their company for a long time if they feel valued and safe. By ensuring these above criteria, the HRM improvises the retention strategy of their company, thereby creating a low turnover. The work of the HR department is more complicated now than it has ever been.
There are a lot of efforts that go into managing every employee, from hiring to onboarding, various performance analysis, and much more. Thus, human resource is vital for every organization, and entails a lot of advantages, like-
Money saved is money invested. If a company ends up hiring an employee without any background checks like their qualifications or skills, there is a high chance of their company’s money going down the drain. It is essential to know which employee is suited for which role, therefore HRM plays an important role in cutting down their company costs by hiring the right candidate.
A HRM drafts the processes in such a way that every employee is aligned with the goals and targets of their respective organizations. They know what is expected from them from the joining, and they try to achieve it time over time.
• Increased Credibility-
Employees are known as the crucial assets of any organization, without them any business will come to a standstill. HRM helps in hiring the perfect candidate for the organization, which by default increases the credibility of a company.
• Improved Dedication-
To create a low turnover, it is important to retain every top-skilled employee. The HRM adapts techniques to create a healthy bond of commitment between their company and the employee, which helps in retention.
• Evolve –
With the ever-changing world, the organizations need to change too. Human resource management changes with the world, it adapts and implements new rules and cultures with the changing world to ensure that their company is up to date with the latest trends.
• Competitive Advantage-
Human Resource Management keeps an eye on all their competitor’s strategies, and they try and incorporate new ideas which their competitors aren’t applying, thereby attracting top skilled candidates.
• Better Communication-
Maintaining regular communication between everyone in a company is a must. The employees often feel they are not valued if their ideas are not given any importance. To ensure effective communication, human resource management creates a common platform for everyone.
• Increased Consistency-
Various activities and rewards should be organized to create a healthy competitive atmosphere and a healthy bond between everyone. These tasks organized by human resource management, improve the consistency every employee.
Human resource management contributes vastly to a company’s maintenance and success. Human Resource Management meaning is the effective management of all the people working for a company. The HR managers of an organization need to have extraordinary and exemplary skills to have an edge on their competitors.
They enhance the credibility of a company, increasing its brand value and success. They also ensure that every employee that they are hiring, have their targets and goals aligned with that of an organization. Thus, HR and HRM are vital assets of any business.