What is Harassment ?
‘Harassment’, with respect to the workplace, happens when an employee is targeted by either their colleagues or supervisor for bullying.
Workplace harassment can be differentiated into the following categories:
- Cyberbullying: The bullying happens online in this case and the victim can easily prove that they are being bullied due to the ease of collecting evidence.
- Physical harassment: It refers to the physical violence which the victim has to face as well as the threats, assaults, etc.
- Psychological harassment: It refers to the mental stress that the victim is made to endure by withholding information or blackmailing or using any other tactic to demotivate and mentally break them down.
- Sexual harassment: This kind of harrassment involves any kind of unwanted physical intimacy, gesturing, etc. which makes the victim feel gross and hurt.
- Verbal harassment: It refers to using vulgar language or demeaning slurs along with raising voice to chastise with the intention of making the victim feel humiliated.